Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Ordinary Road

"My Father God, help me to expect Thee on the ordinary road. I do not ask for sensational happenings. Commune with me through ordinary work and duty. Be my Companion when I take the common journey. Let the humble life be transfigured by Thy presence" Charles E. Cowman

These past few days I have been taking care of some ordinary, common chores around the farm to get things settled in for the winter time. Daylight comes early and leaves early in the winter season, so these chores can use up most of a day! With help from dear friends, the sheep barn is clean as a whistle (well, almost - LOL!) and the compost (manure) piles are turned for the time. Most of the ewes appear to be bred and the rams have settled in to their routine. The temporary fences are folded and put away till next spring. All the farm vehicles have been checked for antifreeze, the lawn mower and rotatiller are put away. I still have a pickup load of lawn furniture to haul over to the Burnham barn for winter storage and I need to finish putting the window covers over the barn windows, but that is the bulk of it. I enjoy the slow pace and the satisfaction of these simple daily jobs.

Now for today, Dear Lord, from The Simple Woman's Devotion, I bring to you


My shortcomings...my impatience and frustrations, Lord

I bring you my worship and praise...for the simple joy of the ordinary road, for this life you have given me and my prayer is that my eyes and heart will always be open to daily communion with You as I walk this road

I bring you the prayer shared at the opening of this post. Help me to grow in my everyday living, always seeking and always looking for You at every turn.

You spoke to me..."And the peace of God, which transcends all our powers of thought, will be a garrison to guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus" (Phillipians 4:7)

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving!!! I pray that you and your families will find some time to enjoy an ordinary day!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for visiting me this last week. I strive to travel the ordinary road, and your post uplifted me. Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Pamala Rose said...

Blessings on you and yours this Thanksgiving.

Ebeth said...

Hi Cary!

It is so wonderful to meet a new friend! I had been doing the simple daybook for awhile then lost time, visited it again this morning and found Peggy doing a simple devotion....just love it!

A crocheter and lover of yarn of all colors, feels, and length!

Hugs!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Theresa said...

I was just looking at some books online as I was ordering Christmas presents. There was one that caught my eye, something about finding the holy in the home and the description said, "Yes, even in the bathroom!" :o) That really intrigued me. My Grandma had a recipe card taped above the sink where she washed dishes and I wish I could remember, something about "divine services held here 3 times daily" referring to the thoughts and prayers occuring during the washing of dishes - a mundane and routine, but necessary task, but a time when the mind could be put to good use. She always saw God in everything, every day. I've tried to carry a sense of that into my photography. But more importantly I try to convey that to my kiddos! (btw, I have the pictures now to make your cards but have had sick kiddos. I hope to get them made maybe this weekend so I can send them to you long before Christmas so you can use them for gifts if you want.

Joyce said...

What a busy person you are!

The contemplation of serving the Lord in our 'ordinary' lives is a blessing to me. Thank you. :)