Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sisters of the Fleece

Fibery friends are some of the very best!

Over the years I've met some wonderful people through our sheep and wool, and many times they become treasured friends.  That is truly the case with my friend in New England who has been spinning and knitting with Serenity Farms Corriedale for over a year now.  Recently we joined forces to create a special roving from two of my Corriedale lamb fleeces and some of her local alpaca.  We're beginning a long-distance spin-a-long with a current goal of making socks.  How fun is that?

On Monday, a package arrived in my mail box and I was thrilled to open it and find this wonderful surprise - a little shoulder shawl spun and knit by my friend for me!!!  The yarn is made from Serenity Farms Elizabeth, a rich espresso brown ewe with very fine fleece.  And isn't the vintage pin perfect along with the shawlette?!? I absolutely adore receiving gifts made for me from my own wool, it's one of my favorite treats.

We've nicknamed our new roving "Sisters of the Fleece" and it is a true New England-Midwest creation.  While we can't actually visit in person as we sit and spin away, we are enjoying each others company in spirit... what a blessing!

3 comments:

Jody said...

That's a beautiful gift and so lovely with your wool. I do believe I have some of Elizabeth's wool all combed up and ready to spin :-)

Unknown said...

Jody, I've got a sweater made of her wool, it's my favorite sweater.

Kathy at Knitting Off The Grid said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog. It is fun visiting others and learning about their lives, too - especially fellow knitters! I just signed up to follow your blog, so I'll be able to keep up with all your adventures.